Unaccompanied Minors Policy
Passenger Services – WOBL01
- Applicable to Unaccompanied Children between 8-12 years of age (inclusive)
- Student Fare will apply to all Unaccompanied Minors
- Unaccompanied Minors will travel on our services by reservation only
Unaccompanied Children Travelling on White Owl Bus Lines
Children between the ages of 8 and 12 inclusive may travel unaccompanied under the following restrictions and conditions. These conditions must be met in their entirety.
- Service available by reservation only. Unaccompanied Minors must be registered and have trip booked 12 hours prior to departure.
- An adult at least 18 years of age must bring the child who will be travelling to the station. Both the adult and the child are required to be at the departure station a minimum of 30 minutes prior to departure time in order to complete all necessary paperwork.
- For each unaccompanied child travelling alone, the adult bringing the child to the station must complete and sign a release form.
- The adult must escort child to platform to board service and remain at the station until the scheduled service has departed.
- Upon arrival at the destination station, an adult, at least 18 years of age, must be present to meet the child and provide acceptable identification to the attendant before the child is released. The child will only be released to the person specified on the Unaccompanied Minor Form.
- An Unaccompanied Minor Form must be completed for each child that is travelling and must be completed for each direction of the trip. Round trip requires two forms to be completed.
- No unaccompanied child shall be bumped from a trip for reasons such as an overload.
- Children who have a life threatening food allergy, such as an allergy to peanuts or peanut products, may not travel unaccompanied.
- Children travelling must be of sound health, do not require any medication or have any medical or physical condition which could create an emergency or require special attention.
- The child must have sufficient funds for meals and incidental expenses.
- If the specified person is not present to accept the child at the destination station, the child may be handed over to the local Police authorities.
- The student fare will apply to the Unaccompanied Minor travelling.
- Must certify that the child is between the ages of 8 and 12 (inclusive) and must produce identification to verify the child’s age. A copy will be taken and stapled to the forms.
NOTE: A child between the ages of 8-12 traveling with a companion that is 16 years of age or older, is not required to reserve Unaccompanied Minor services. The companion traveling with the child must have identification indicating their date of birth.
- Ensure the guardian specified on the Unaccompanied Minor form is present at destination station 10 minutes prior to child’s arrival and;
- The guardian specified on the Unaccompanied Minor form is required to produce photo identification upon child’s arrival. *In order to comply with our assurance quality, Unaccompanied Minors may not be released without verification of guardian’s identification*
- If the child is not met at the destination station as specified, the parent/guardian must agree that an White Owl Bus Lines staff or agent is authorized to take whatever actions necessary to arrange for the child’s custody. The parent/guardian must agree to reimburse White Owl Bus Lines for any costs incurred to them for taking that action.
- Must certify that the child named on the form, and who is travelling is of sound health, does not require any medication or has any medical or physical condition which could create an emergency or require special attention.
- Must request carriage of the child.
- Must certify that the child understands their responsibilities and will follow them.
- Must certify that the child is between the ages of 8 and 12 (inclusive) and can produce identification to verify the child’s age.
- Sign Unaccompanied Minors form upon acceptance of child and paperwork.
- Ensure child does not get off coach for any reason, unless permission is granted.
- Ensure child safely arrives and gets off coach at the predetermined destination noted on the form, no exceptions.
- Ensure child is not disturbed or bothered by other passengers and assist child if needed.
- If parent/guardian is not at destination, contact local authorities and remain with child until appropriate custody is organized and arrives.
- Driver’s may release child to White Owl Bus Lines employee at destination station, providing station is open, staffed, child has been accepted, and the form signed by WOBL staff. Knowledge that parent/guardians are en route to receive the child must be achieved.
- Check in with child often to ensure their trip is going smoothly.
- Ensure child’s whereabouts at all times and during rest stops.
- If for any reason the driver is replaced during the scheduled route, the initial driver must ensure the new/replacement driver is apprised that an unaccompanied child is on board, the seat location of the child, and hand over the unaccompanied form.
- The new/replacement driver must review and sign Unaccompanied Minor form upon acceptance of child.
UNACCOMPANIED CHILDREN’S RESPONSIBILITIES
- Must sit in assigned seating, provided by the driver.
- Must remain seated in assigned seating (except for the use of washroom).
- Must advise the driver if they are being disturbed in any way.
- Must advise the driver if they require assistance in any way.
- Must follow driver instructions when stopped for schedules, breaks and when driver is assisting in loading passengers, baggage and freight. Children must not depart for any reason unless prior permission from the driver is granted.
- Must wait for all passengers to depart service and then follow driver instructions to meet parent/guardian.
*White Owl Bus Lines reserves the right to decline requests of Unaccompanied Minor services should compliance with the above conditions not be met*
*Conditions are subject to change with appropriate notice*